Thursday, September 8, 2011

Lately in class

"For centuries poets, philosophers, and mythographers recounted and expounded all the many variations of the scene where a goddess is seen while bathing: whether it be Artemis spied on by Actaeon, Athena watched by Tiresias, or Persephone under the all-seeing eyes of Zeus." (Calasso 45).

The ability for an individual to fully engulf themselves in myth is seen through our everyday lives; seeing, doing and saying. Although not everything is related directly to myth, I feel as if a good portion can be seen through the eyes of myth. Music has been a big deal to me in my past, and when Michael brought that up in class the other day it drew my attention. I've heard before where music came from and a good portion of musical history but never in this context, rather insightful if you ask me. The 9 muses dancing and celebrating, the lyre and other historical instruments of the time, as music has progressed so has our understanding of beats, rhythms, tones and punctuality of music. Being through the 3rd class I'm still intrigued what might come out of Michael's mouth next.

No comments:

Post a Comment